Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Embarrassment - a selfconscious distress

Embarrassment is such a situation that you would never want in your life.. I had such a situation recently wherein it was neither due to myself nor by my friends. Asking who is it????? Read ahead...

I am planning to join a new lab in the near future and I had to meet my new mentor M) to get introduced to people there. I had been to his office and we had this welcoming talk ' Hi Priya .. we would love to have you with us bla bla.." and me " its my pleasure.. thanks...etc" Then, tring ... tring...(phone call)

Voice : We are calling from U.K Animal house. All (except one) of the mice in cage 'xyz' of yours are pregnant"
M : (furiously) What???? I just can't believe..
M got back to me: Priya, let me introduce u to people in my lab and I have to talk to a new student in my lab.

I followed him along. Got introduced to everyone. Finally was this student he mentioned. Ms Y - She is neither an indian, nor american..edho european country! She is chinna ponnu and she looked pretty with loose hair, great skin and nice outfit..

Me: Hi
Y: (in a low tone, softly with her head facing down) Hi
My Vennai(as like kay): Ivlo shyaa???...Why can I never be like that?...ipdi dhaan pasangala mayaka try pannuvaangalo...
M: This is Priya and she is from that lab ..etc..He went on....on.
Y: (Just a small smile ..no! smile maadhiri onnu )....
My Vennai: Smile kooda kanjamaa...idhu romba over!! ennala mudiyaadhu paa!!
She spoke something. Her tone, accent and voice were so odd and I had to keenly watch her to understand her.
My Vennai: Idhu shyaa theriyalaye priya.. koncham edho thappu panna lookaa iruke!!!.Experimenta sodhapitaa pola irukku!! Nammalum sodhappina ipdi dhaan moonji vechikanum.. appo dhaan men paavamnnu uttuduvaangalo?!!

Vasagargale!! This is for you to understand better!! In general, we buy mice from animal house when they are young and sort them in cages, say like 5 mice in a cage and let them get acclimated till they become adults (may be around for 3-5weeks). Then, we use for expts. We just buy mice of the specific gender we are interested in, based on our experimantal need. Each cage has rats of the same gender. In this lab, recently they used pregnant mice for their expt. So, kutti ilavasam illaya!!! So, they designed another expt for these where they allowed the litters to grow up and then they planned to use that. Those are the kuttis in 'xyz' cage.

M: I got a message from animal house that mice in cage xyz are pregnant.. They are the ones which are the litters of the pregnant mice used in previous expt before 2 months right!!
Y:(hesitantly with self conscious distress) Yeh!!
M: Then how come they are pregnant?
Udane en kurukku buddhi answera kandupidichiduthu!!!
My Vennai: Priya, shhh.. ne dirtyyaa yoasikadha.wait and see...I felt sorry for Y. Saadhu ponnu !!
Y :(starts hesitantly) I had ...I did separate the litters when they were born..But I am sorry ..some how I could not...It is due to the brother...
My Vennai: Your guess was absolutely right Priya!!!!! (I was giggling like anything within myself....)
M was asking Y to explain..paavam avar saadhuvaa irundhar!! avalukka - romba kashtam..enakka - peche varala (rare moment). Oru vazhiyaa he understood. The worst thing was he thought I didnot understand

M: Did you understand what happened?
Me: Yeh..
My Vennai: Idhu kooda puriyaadhu enakku.. Y, while separating newly born male and female litters (from preg mouse cage) made a mistake and she left one male with 4 of his sisters. andha brother ella sister kittayum velaya kaatitaan..adhaane!!!

M (freea vidala) : (Trying to explain me that..I was embarrased to listen to the whole thing. But manasukkula sama sirippu..But I listened..)
Finally, M asked a question to me. Idhaan weightu!!!
M: Did you understand How was that?
I thought that to be two sentences and I answered!!!
ME: Oh yeh !! that was funny..
M: No expression on his face....Gave a thoughtful Berkeley look..he was thinking something further...(enakku mudhala puriyala..aprom purinjudhu) Then he stared like why am I saying so.
Now I was totally embarrased due to myself..Worstu!!!
Y: Smiled finally..
Aprom, I understood that "Oho, when we get educated better (after entering into PhD), we should also think about the incident instead of just enjoying the fun like a common man..

Yeh!! you may never know who can embarrass you at what moment and what will you learn from where !!!

14 comments:

Subha said...

Brother-sister-matter...ennamo po! :)

Priya said...

mice mattum subha, manushangalum sariyilla..ennavo po!!!!

Prabu Karthik said...

hmm rated animal content:) nalla velai neenga sila key words ellam use pannalai.

illena google andha sila visesha key words pottu search pannina unga blogum varum:)

More embarssments for the person searching and you the blog owner when you know how people have come to your blog.

Priya said...

haahaa... ipdiyellam naan yosikala prabu...

Anonymous said...

Very funny...didn't know litter meant offspring also until now...(am I embarrassing myself here? :))...always knew it is as some kind of a waste material...

Btw, what is a mouse's litter's litter called? Litter? Also, do u use mice only or are rats also allowed for experiments?

KP.

Priya said...

kp..
u r 2 2 much!!! I dont work with animals anymore in my present lab. But, I have handled rats, mice, hamsters, gerbles and guinea pigs..dont get scared!!! Do you know that knowing to handle animals is considered as an additional qualification in science (market)?

virumandi said...

mayaa...andha 'vennai' matter super..try putting it different font..

Priya said...

Ippo betterla virumandi

thennavan said...

Followed you from Subha's blog. This post made for interesting reading :-)

Maybe it was a U/A rating (like how our censors are sometimes confused) :-)

TJ said...

round katti pirichu meinjutengaaa...

indha vennai ngha tholla thaanga mudiyaadhu..

Mukkiyamaana meeting la, client company director kku consulting ndraa perla pilm kattitu irukkumbodhu, pinnadi vandhu 'mavane paisa projanam illadha sarakka koovi koovi vikkriyaa.. dei dagalti veliaya va unna vechukarein'u sollum paaru, ayyyyayyyooooo siripa adakkaradhukkulla sindhubairavi janakaraj maadhiri manda vedichurum

TJ said...

btw unga aaraichila, mouse thollai adakaradhu eppadeenu, tips vechurukeengala.
pied piper of hamlin dhaan ootuku koopadnum pola. Sticky vecha, adha thavira matha ella edathulayum odudhu. Poison vaangindhu vandhutu, kaarthala vekalamnu thoonga pona. Poison pocketa kadichu open panni kaali panni vechchirukku.. Chummava sonnanga "The only thing british are afraid of is Rodents" nu

Priya said...

haaa..that was funny! tj

tt_giant said...

LOL, very funny..

The lab I work in also has an animal facility. Sad when they have to euthanize the mice. Paavum.

யாத்திரீகன் said...

ஹா ஹா ஹா !!!!, பாசமலரை பிச்சுடீங்களே :-))))