Aathisoodi - last post
Just saw now that Dinesh has tagged me to say on 'save the earth for our children. Here is what I feel:
1. Depleting resources : We need to forsee and think of all depleting resouces like power, water and fuel. We can say to us : 1. Never I will leave things on when I am not there. 2. Do not think that 'its no use if we alone save. nobody does right"
2. Resources being wasted - potential risk of being exhausted/ causing pollution.
Stationary Paper : We always tend to throw all one side written paper. We can get a clip pad and keep inserting one side written papers with the unwritten side on top.. We can use them to make grocery list. write phones # etc. (My parents do it). Never tear/use paper more than required.
Bottles : Why throw all juice bottles and buy new plastic boxes to keep groceries? Take off their paper label slowly by wiping with water and now it looks like a new platic bottle.
Tissue paper (in.U.S): We can buy tissues which has perforations to tear at smaller area than regular ones. Remember? Our parents have used milk cover(rinse with hot water) for packing idlies and making vadas and used thuni pai for shopping..We cant be so but still we can do something!!!
4. The most important thing is FOOD. Many of us dont see what is in the fridge/ shelf . we let them sit and they get rotten and we buy the same thing. We can avoid it by looking at our fridge/shelf everyday before we cook. Forsee which one will get rotten faster and use that first on that day menu. I think agriculture is something which has to respected !!! We HAVE TO think about the farmers who are underpaid and who still does that. We can refrigerate the food immediately after use and avoid wasting.
3. Quality deteriorating resources:
1. Teaching: In any country, teaching is a less preferred profession. Mainly because it is paid less and a trend that you resort to teach only we dont get anything. We have to definetely agree that certain things come from our teachers. I think our parents had better teachers than us. and my (our) cousins have poor teachers than mine. We should somehow try to bring people for teaching for our children!!
2. Mind power : Our parents had to learn things the tough way as they could not afford. But we are given all that instead. That does not mean that our children's quality of mind power has to go down.. say for example, our parents can do basic maths w/o paper and pen. I need a paper and pen. My children would need calculators.. Are we not denying them the usage of mind power by overproviding comforts?
3. Learning : Learning from family was a part of any individual's living in olden days. But in these days, its not possible. Say, our ancestors learned not to waste things, swimming, cooking etc at home. Do you think children would listen to parents totally now or do parents do impart such learning? In this case, I would think that it has to be imparted in school. We can have a subject with practical class (say like chemistry ) being taught for over a period of time for that particular age. Say, it is necesaary for everybody to know basic cooking as they shouldn't starve to death when there is nobody. So, there can be cooking as a subject with theory and practical (having 30 small gas stove for a school is not a big deal ) for 2-3 years (in their 6th , 7th and 8th std). In the 9th std they can have 'first aid and helping techniques' as a subject. In the 5th class, they can have ' saving resources' as a subject where things are taught at school with practical exams..Thus, we can atleast impart some learning right !!!
Thats all I think now!! I tag TJ , Ranjith and Senthil !