Wednesday, September 27, 2006
Read my sondha kural...
கேளிர் எவர்க்கும் சான்றோன் நட்புதன்
அகத்தருகே காணும் குன்றாம்
keler evarkkum saanron natpu than
agatharuke kaanum kunraam
கேளிர் - உறவினர் (எதாவது வகையிலே நமக்கு உறவானவர்)
எவர்க்கும் - எல்லார்க்கும் / எப்படிப்பட்டவர்க்கும் /வேறுபட்ட மக்கள் எவரும்
சான்றோர்- சிறப்பான / மேன்மை பொருந்திய குணங்களைக் கொண்டவன்
தன் அகத்தருகே காணும் குன்று - தம் வீட்டில் அருகில் உள்ள மலை போன்றதாகுமாம்.
Meaning 1: நம் வீட்டின் கண் நின்று பார்க்கப்படும் மலையானது நமக்கு மிக உயர்ந்த்தாகவே தெரியும். (அதே மலை, சற்று தொலைவிலிருந்து பார்த்தால், மற்ற மலைகளை விட உயரமாகவோ, தாழ்வாகவோ இருக்கலாம்). மேலும், அருகில் இருக்கும் மலையானது, தனக்குரிய சிறப்பான உருவத்தைக் கொண்டு, நமக்கு ஒருவிதமாக பயம் அளிக்கும்.
அது போல, உறவினர் எல்லாருக்கும், சிறப்பான/மேன்மை பொருந்திய குணங்களைக் கொண்டவரின் சகவாசமானது, தம் வீட்டின் அருகில் உள்ள மலை போல மிகச்சிறப்பாக உயர்ந்து விளங்கும். மேலும், அவர்களின் சிறப்பான குணத்தால், அவர்களிடம் பழக ஒருவிதமான பயம் அளிக்கும்.
Meaning 2: This is the first meaning with which I came up with these lines. Let me narrate the incident as it would help people in non hilly region understand things better.
I, being new to El Paso, moved to my new apt recently . This city has series of mountains everywhere and its easy to get lost and even enter into mexico unless you know which mountains are in your side. I found a hill just behind my home which alone has a cross at the top. I decided to have this as the landmark . Last week, I went on a bus in search of a post office and as usual I got lost. (En kooda endha vehiclela vandhalum easyaa tholainjupoydiveenga.... apdi oru raasi ) And the bus driver dropped me near a mall . When I got down, to my surprise, I saw a hill which also had a cross. After getting out of shock , I realized that its is the same hill and the bus has started from home and came to this mall taking a 'U' shape where the hill is at the mouth of 'U' but my home is on the other side. The next day when i was planning to visit some friends, they also gave me directions stating about the same hill but I realised soon that its on some other side.. I, then realised that everybody who lived under that mountain claimed that as a landmark.
The next day I was waiting at the bus stop for so long looking at that big scary hill . I was like 'what is this analogous to..' Also I thought of another interpretation that is mentioned above.. Here is the analogy.
Meaning 2 :
சான்றோன் எனறு கருதக்கூடிய குணங்களை உடையவனின் நட்பைப் பெற்ற எப்பேர் பெற்றவனும் உறவினனும் (அதாவது நல்லவனோ/தீய குணம் கொண்டவனோ / உயர்ந்தவனோ / தாழ்ந்தவனோ / எத்தொழில் புரியக்கூடியவனும் ), தன் வீட்டருகே இருக்கும் உயர்ந்த மலையை, மலையின் கீழ் வாழும் அனைவரும் அதனை எப்படிச் சொந்தம் கொண்டாடுவார்களோ, அதுபோல, சொந்தம் கொண்டாடி மகிழ்வான்.
When we read crisp verse, it is necessary to note the usage of each word as those 7-8 words, in general, have to explain a big meaning /analogy. Here the word evarkum is to be noted which encompasses all sorts of people.
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Well it has been a while that I even forgot what I was telling. Now, after recollecting what I was talking, here we are to discuss what can we do to have good health these days w.r.t cooking. Makkale..I feel there are three things that we have to focus upon 1.To follow. 2. To inculcate and the most important thing 3. To cook.
Enna makkale.. unga veetu adupu mela poona kutti thoongudhaa??apdina, its time for you to work on cooking !!!
To Follow : Ennatha perisaa solla poren!!! Its all what you know.. But, I think its not enough to read these and feel happy that we know this.. we have to DO something about it.
1. Preserve and carry over traditional home receipes (kudumba (sa) paatuu): Guys, every family will have some dishes that is exclusively in their lineage.. Talk to your mom, grandmom and learn how to make them, what are their uses etc. and WRITE THEM DOWN. This will definitely not harm you as ur family has had it and stayed healthy enough !!
2. Home remedies : Talk to your family first about what they use to treat what and how ?? When you are sick, you can try that first..Infact we should first learn to trust them.I have a book that has many remedies taught by my patti. Infact, the remedies are some cooking receipes so you can make them once in a while also.
3. Sick???-- wait!!! : When you are sick, first observe yourself..Don't panic and rush to a doctor. The doctor will give a medicine (otherwise you will not respect him right!) when needed / not which is not good in general for the body. Trust that our body can repair its problems by itself if you give time.. If its a real problem, then we can get treated. Infact, I am not very positive in taking medicine as it modulates many systems in our body negatively.
4. Definitely maintain a book (manually or online) to note all home remedies / receipes that you cook so that you know what type of nutrients you frequently have and you can get back whenever you feel sick.Say, having turmeric in milk will help clearing sore throat for some..For others, it would work only when the problem is milder and they may have doses of pepper roasted in ghee. if you have both of them written down, you can try one by one.. Writing gives clarity of thought and avoids clouding on mind.
This is for people in our family esp. the next generation. It is necessary that we follow these as sometimes inculcating others works better when we do it silently.
1.Time: In olden days, children just follow the same way of life as parents. So, they learn much of it from parents. Now a days, things are different. Mom and child don't have the same way of life.I think many of us don't get time to know facts about the home remedies/healthy cooking. The reason for it is we spend lot of time on different things. We tend to think ' we have too much work.. We/ the child deserve(s) relaxation. Our (middle class ) parents spent most of the time worrying about how to manage money for us and the family. I think it would be better if we teach others to spend time in many other ways like reading useful books, learning more things from grandmom/mom that can be relaxing as well.
2. Grandparents are great resource :As we don't see joint families now a days, its tough to learn from old people. But when we visit them, instead of patiently listening to their cribbings about relatives, we can (change the topic and ) ask them for ' how they make this' and 'what they did for this problem during those days'.That way, relations can be healthier and we can make them feel proud as we learn from them.
3. Prioritize : It is necessary these days to tell children what should be important to us where eating good food and doing healthy cooking also have to come into picture. Many of us still think that we dont have time for it..Teaching to prioritize things at every point of life is very necessary!
4 Pampering spoils : Pampering children by creating self pity is the worst thing one can do.".Oh!! my daughter is too busy . she always has something and she cant spend time to learn cooking.. We are here to cook right"- pochu..appave ur daughter is handicapped !! I heard from my friend that in sweden, students have cooking as a subject for 3 years (between 6th - 8th std) They have practical classes where they have to pair up with fellow classmate and make dishes..and that way, schools equip them to survive even when there is no body to cook around!!!
How to cook :
Makkale.. enna da iva.. vitta cooking class eduppa pola iruke.. romba torture paa - ipdi dhaane nenakareenga!! Sari!! assuming that everybody knows minimal cooking, let me give some tips
1. Know the facts : Please take time to know some facts about what you cook - say, rice has carbs, dal has proteins etc.
2. Know the values : Know what is good for what. say, ginger will remove (reduce) gas. So, we use it while have food like dal so that it reduces too much of vaayvu settling at joints.
3. Think of the best alternative: When you cook, look for the alternative that has the best cooking value as per tradition. Say, to bring hot taste both red chily and pepper can be used. But Pepper is a better option as it is good for intestine as it harms less.
3. Know the goodies : Know which are always good to us even if you dont see any value visually. say like turmeric which is a anti oxidant and has all goodness like anticancer, anti cold, disinfectant etc. Tulsi,pepper, garlic are some of them.
4. Understand the chemistry : Some people consider cooking as magic. add x add y boil..add z wait and your dish has to appear suddenly..Infact in the dispensing pharmacy class in undergrad, I used to do the same - add salicylate, coloring agent, A, B etc and mix/boil for some time and expect the ointment to be ready How stupid it was..there is a chemistry in cooking and its a field where you can see the effect of what you do . We can be flexible and try out many things but there is a science like what has to be added when and how- say,we HAVE to splutter mustard and only then we can add Urad dal. Also, like, adding salt to vegetables causes elevation of boiling point and they boil faster. Paying attention to such details are really essential for life.
5. Write things down: Do not feel ashamed/ silly.It is important to write down for future.
Okay.. Erkanave makkal teachernra rangeukku ottaranga!! Indha postukku enna solla poreeengalo!!! These are just my opinion..Kaaka kaaka stylela sonnaa ' Idhellam neenga follow pannanumnu sollala, ipdi panna nalla irukumnnu nenakaren' - idhu epdi :)-
Monday, September 11, 2006
We are supposed to talk about that 'something' that may accumulate in our body. As you might all have guessed, its nothing but toxins. Getting excited to talk about it!!!!!
When I was reading a toxicology book (published at U.S), I could find that the oldest books on toxicology (and infact on medicines ) are from India - Charaka samhita and Susrutha samhita (early part of 1000 B.C). Felt so nice...I wish I learn sanskrit to decode what is said in them !!!! And so, I started reading about them online. Let me share some info that I learned.
Makkale, let me say this. I as like many of us, used to think that ayurveda is another field just like allopathy or homeopathy. Never realised till few days before that its our way of life, the way/ the diet our ancestors followed!!! Let me talk about it before getting on to the diet.
"Life (ayu) is the combination (samyoga) of body, senses, mind and reincarnating soul. Ayurveda is the most sacred science of life, beneficial to humans both in this world and the world beyond."—Charaka Samhita, Sutrasthana, 1.42-43.
Ayurveda is a upaveda (subsection) of arthava veda. Though it had been practiced all along, it was around 3000 B.C that ayurveda in India was codified from the oral tradition to book form as an independent science. It enlists eight branches/divisions of ayurveda: Kayachikitsa (Internal Medicine), Shalakya Tantra (surgery and treatment of head and neck, Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology), Shalya Tantra (Surgery), Agada Tantra (Toxicology), Bhuta Vidya (Psychiatry), Kaumarabhritya (Pediatrics), Rasayana (science of rejuvenation or anti-aging), and Vajikarana (the science of fertility). The most fascinating aspect of ayurveda is, it was using almost all methods of healing like lifestyle regimen, yoga, aroma, meditation, gems, amulets, herbs, diet, jyotishi (astrology), color and surgery etc. in treating patients
Around 1500 BC ayurveda was delineated into to two distinct schools: Atreya—The School of Physicians, and Dhanvantari—The School of Surgeons. This made ayurveda a more systematically classified medical science, hereafter. In fact, these two schools of thought led to the writing of two major books on ayurveda—Charaka Samhita and Susruta Samhita.
The great sage- physician Charaka authored Charaka Samhita revising and supplementing the text written by Atreya, which has remained the most referred ayurvedic text on internal medicine till date. Susruta, following the Dhanvantari School of Thought, wrote Susruta Samhita, comprising the knowledge about prosthetic surgery to replace limbs, cosmetic surgery, caesarian operations and even brain surgery. He is famed for his innovation of cosmetic surgery on nose or rhinoplasty.
Evidences show that ayurveda had nurtured almost all the medical systems of the world. Even, Paracelsus, considered to be the father of the modern western medicine toed the line of ayurveda, as well.
Okay..how does ayurveda work??? It works on the principle that a perfect health condition is achievable through the psychosomatic integration in a person.
According to ayurveda, each individual is a combination of the three doshas of vata (air and ether), pitta (fire) and kapha(water and earth) or one of these doshas. In tamil, we call it as vaadham, pitham, silethumam. The basic constitution represents the individual's psychological and physical nature, distinctly. The tridoshas governs all metabolic activities in an individual. Within each person the doshas are adjusting to countless changes in the doshas of nature, in addition to the changes within one self. So, a person can be called as vadha udambukaaran/ pithaudambukaram..etc or a combination of these..
A discerning diet according to one's dosha type, and well-regulated life (dinacharya) helps strengthen one's natural immune system.Let us talk about how each family had maintained their diet.
Ayurveda emphasizes that the diet we take has a close influence on our mind and body. According to ayurveda, the mind has three possible states (tri-gunas) Sattva, or peaceful equilibrium, rajas, or excessive activity and tamas, or inertia—the three tendencies or gunas of mind influence the imbalances in the three doshas. (say, people who do teaching and other work related to thinking were having satva food. Farmers who had lots of physical work had food that gives raja guna etc. ) Specific dietary adjustments serves to maintain the balance of specific doshas and thus entail perfect health. Appropriate diet can be used to remove or neutralize toxins in the body .
Some of the things that our ancestors followed in practice are :
- Our ancestors do not suggest eating food until one's appetite is satisfied. When ill, one should eat only light food, and then normal food in small quantities, until half the appetite is fulfilled.
- We never combine contradictory foods in terms of their qualities.
- Keeping high-protein or high-fat food items in separate meals from lighter foods such as starches and vegetables.
- Not mixing milk with yogurt.
- Not eating cooked foods and raw foods at the same meal since they require different types of digestion.
- Avoiding drinking milk while eating radishes, tomatoes, meat, fish, eggs, citrus fruits.
- Eating fresh fruit separately from other meals (except the cooked fruits).
- Some specific vegetables and grains are forbidden in some specific days of a month. Diet is to be compatible with changing seasons.
- Also, our ancestors had specific detoxification methods like panchakarma and other herbal health remedies, when applied wholly or singly, make the body more responsive to medicines and treatment. It hastens the healing process.
Various yogasanas prescribed by ayurveda help prevent the diseases from occuring and accumulating. Yogasanas achieve the twin purpose of strengthening body-parts such as bones, muscle and vital organs like heart, liver, stomach, intestine as well as keeping our blood circulation and psychological conditions strong and resilient.
Romba scienceaa pochu!!! Okay!! Let me stop!!!!
What do you think we can do these days to keep good health w,r.t food?? Please think on those lines and post it as comment in this section. And I will add them to the next post with my own suggestions as well. Also in the next to next post, we can discuss about our likes - all delicious combinations say like (vetha kozhambu potato curry )that we all think that are so yummy and
what all we can cook etc.!!!! Enna Okayaa??