நவராத்திரியில் இன்று விசேஷமான ராகத்தில் என்னென்ன பாட்டு இருக்குன்னு தினமும் இங்க பார்த்து மற்றும் கேட்டு இறையருளைப் பெருவீர்களாக !!
Well it has been a while that I even forgot what I was telling. Now, after recollecting what I was talking, here we are to discuss what can we do to have good health these days w.r.t cooking. Makkale..I feel there are three things that we have to focus upon 1.To follow. 2. To inculcate and the most important thing 3. To cook.
Enna makkale.. unga veetu adupu mela poona kutti thoongudhaa??apdina, its time for you to work on cooking !!!
To Follow : Ennatha perisaa solla poren!!! Its all what you know.. But, I think its not enough to read these and feel happy that we know this.. we have to DO something about it.
1. Preserve and carry over traditional home receipes (kudumba (sa) paatuu): Guys, every family will have some dishes that is exclusively in their lineage.. Talk to your mom, grandmom and learn how to make them, what are their uses etc. and WRITE THEM DOWN. This will definitely not harm you as ur family has had it and stayed healthy enough !!
2. Home remedies : Talk to your family first about what they use to treat what and how ?? When you are sick, you can try that first..Infact we should first learn to trust them.I have a book that has many remedies taught by my patti. Infact, the remedies are some cooking receipes so you can make them once in a while also.
3. Sick???-- wait!!! : When you are sick, first observe yourself..Don't panic and rush to a doctor. The doctor will give a medicine (otherwise you will not respect him right!) when needed / not which is not good in general for the body. Trust that our body can repair its problems by itself if you give time.. If its a real problem, then we can get treated. Infact, I am not very positive in taking medicine as it modulates many systems in our body negatively.
4. Definitely maintain a book (manually or online) to note all home remedies / receipes that you cook so that you know what type of nutrients you frequently have and you can get back whenever you feel sick.Say, having turmeric in milk will help clearing sore throat for some..For others, it would work only when the problem is milder and they may have doses of pepper roasted in ghee. if you have both of them written down, you can try one by one.. Writing gives clarity of thought and avoids clouding on mind.
This is for people in our family esp. the next generation. It is necessary that we follow these as sometimes inculcating others works better when we do it silently.
1.Time: In olden days, children just follow the same way of life as parents. So, they learn much of it from parents. Now a days, things are different. Mom and child don't have the same way of life.I think many of us don't get time to know facts about the home remedies/healthy cooking. The reason for it is we spend lot of time on different things. We tend to think ' we have too much work.. We/ the child deserve(s) relaxation. Our (middle class ) parents spent most of the time worrying about how to manage money for us and the family. I think it would be better if we teach others to spend time in many other ways like reading useful books, learning more things from grandmom/mom that can be relaxing as well.
2. Grandparents are great resource :As we don't see joint families now a days, its tough to learn from old people. But when we visit them, instead of patiently listening to their cribbings about relatives, we can (change the topic and ) ask them for ' how they make this' and 'what they did for this problem during those days'.That way, relations can be healthier and we can make them feel proud as we learn from them.
3. Prioritize : It is necessary these days to tell children what should be important to us where eating good food and doing healthy cooking also have to come into picture. Many of us still think that we dont have time for it..Teaching to prioritize things at every point of life is very necessary!
4 Pampering spoils : Pampering children by creating self pity is the worst thing one can do.".Oh!! my daughter is too busy . she always has something and she cant spend time to learn cooking.. We are here to cook right"- pochu..appave ur daughter is handicapped !! I heard from my friend that in sweden, students have cooking as a subject for 3 years (between 6th - 8th std) They have practical classes where they have to pair up with fellow classmate and make dishes..and that way, schools equip them to survive even when there is no body to cook around!!!
How to cook :
Makkale.. enna da iva.. vitta cooking class eduppa pola iruke.. romba torture paa - ipdi dhaane nenakareenga!! Sari!! assuming that everybody knows minimal cooking, let me give some tips
1. Know the facts : Please take time to know some facts about what you cook - say, rice has carbs, dal has proteins etc.
2. Know the values : Know what is good for what. say, ginger will remove (reduce) gas. So, we use it while have food like dal so that it reduces too much of vaayvu settling at joints.
3. Think of the best alternative: When you cook, look for the alternative that has the best cooking value as per tradition. Say, to bring hot taste both red chily and pepper can be used. But Pepper is a better option as it is good for intestine as it harms less.
3. Know the goodies : Know which are always good to us even if you dont see any value visually. say like turmeric which is a anti oxidant and has all goodness like anticancer, anti cold, disinfectant etc. Tulsi,pepper, garlic are some of them.
4. Understand the chemistry : Some people consider cooking as magic. add x add y boil..add z wait and your dish has to appear suddenly..Infact in the dispensing pharmacy class in undergrad, I used to do the same - add salicylate, coloring agent, A, B etc and mix/boil for some time and expect the ointment to be ready How stupid it was..there is a chemistry in cooking and its a field where you can see the effect of what you do . We can be flexible and try out many things but there is a science like what has to be added when and how- say,we HAVE to splutter mustard and only then we can add Urad dal. Also, like, adding salt to vegetables causes elevation of boiling point and they boil faster. Paying attention to such details are really essential for life.
5. Write things down: Do not feel ashamed/ silly.It is important to write down for future.
Okay.. Erkanave makkal teachernra rangeukku ottaranga!! Indha postukku enna solla poreeengalo!!! These are just my opinion..Kaaka kaaka stylela sonnaa ' Idhellam neenga follow pannanumnu sollala, ipdi panna nalla irukumnnu nenakaren' - idhu epdi :)-