Friday, January 27, 2006
On an evening in last week, I was drinking coffee and thinking about how would an evening be in India during a grand thiruvizha. I could visualize many things. But I was suddenly disturbed by random thoughts about blogging and then my thoughts shifted to 'having puzzles in a post'. Just thought why not I try to club both..I thought I will write a prose (koncham rhythmic). As thaipoosam is coming up I thought I will take it up. Here it is..
அந்திக் கருத்த சந்தியாப் பொழுது !!
பந்தி விரித்து மந்தி(தை)யாய் மக்கள்
வந்து இருக்கும் திவ்யமான காட்சி!!
இசையும், இன்மொழியும் இனிதே இருக்க
அசையும் பொருளும் அதிர்ந்து வியக்க
தசையும் சோரா அழகு ஆட்டம் - காவடி ஆட்டம்!!
ஆதவன் விடுத்து சென்றாலும்
ரம்யமாய் தாமரை மலர்ந்தன!!
எங்கும் வெளிச்சம் எதிலும் வெளிச்சம்!!
அழகுமுழு வெண்மதி ஆட்டமாடி வெளிவந்தனாலோ ? - அதனால்
ஆழ் கடல்சிப்பி பாட்டுபாட வாய்பிள்ந்ததனாலோ? - மற்றும்
துக்கம் விலக்கும் தீபங்களின் சுடரழகினாலோ ? - இல்லை
சியமந்தகராணி வெண்குடை தாங்கி வருகின்றாளோ!! - அல்லது
இந்திரன் மகள் ஐராவதத்தில் ஊர்வலம் செல்கின்றாளோ!!
என்னவென்று விசாரிக்க விரைந்தேன் - ஒரு
நல்லவன் நடப்பபதை விளம்பினான்!!
" ஐயா!! இன்று தைப்பூசம்!!
முந்தை வினைநீங்க சிந்தை கலங்காது
சந்தை சொல்லியெம் கந்தனை வழிபட
மந்தை யாய்மக்கள் இந்தை இடம்வருவர்!
தாங்கள் கண்டதெல்லாம் அவன் வெளிச்சம்!!
கலியுக வரதனாம், கார்த்திகை மைந்தனாம்
கொடியன கழிப்பவனாம், கீர்த்தியின் வடிவாம்
வினைகள் தீர்ப்பவனாம், வெற்றியின் உருவாம்
அழகின் வடிவினனாம், ஆயகலை கற்றவனாம்
அறுபடை வீட்டினனாம், அக்னி நட்சத்திரமாம்
காண்பன யாவுமாம், கண்கண்ட தெய்வமாம் - அவன் வெளிச்சம்!!
அவன் தன்அணி(கலன்) மின்னும் வெளிச்சம்!!
திறந்த நம்அகக் கண்ணின் வெளிச்சம்!!!"
அவன் நல்வார்த்தை கேட்டு வேலாயுதனைக் காண நானும் சென்றேன்!!
மராமரத்தில் சந்திரன் எட்டிப் பார்க்க.
சராசரி நண்பனாய் உ(அ)ரங்கப் பெருமான்,
தராதரம் பார்த்திராது கதிர் அறுக்க - நம் சுவாமி,
உலாவர நம்கண்கள் உயிர் பெற்றனவே !!
There are some solkutram and porulkutram in this . For example, "andhi karutha sandhiya" - Porul kutram (andhi and sandhiyaa mean the same). Andhi karutha- kindaa 'sol kutram' . Please forgive me for committing mistakes knowingly so..
The reason for this is, I have tried to rephrase many(most) of your (bloggers and lex friends) names/ meaning of your name in the above. It will be great if you can find them.. Goodluck!!
Will post all the names later. I am sorry if incase I have not incorporated your name in this. I tried my best to incorporate some names but in vain..
P.S : If you are at lexington, there is more (story) you can decipher. Not every statement has something/names to decipher. Some came just in flow !
Name list :
Easy ones : Divya, Ramya, Kamal (thamarai), Sandhya, TJ Swami, Subramoni/sendhil (kandhan)
Others : Sangeetha (isai), subhashini(Inmozhi/nalvaarthai) , sujan(nallavan), Dinesh (aadhavan), poornima(muzhu venmadhi), muthu (vaay pilandha sippi), vijay (vetri), vasu (urangaperuman), prabhu (theivam/keerthi udaiyavan), ranjith (keerthi udaiyavan), karthik (kaarthikai mainthan), pradnya (sindhai), ashok(thukkam vilakkum), deepas (deepangal), uyir (jeevan), ramachandran (maramarachandran), nanbanaai (vayasya), velicham (pradeep), prabhukarthik (agninakshtram), sathyabama (syamandhagaraani ),
and laka (aayakalai katravan - though I could not use his name )
Lex makkal ( clue for other meaning [apart from minor teasings here and there] ) : Idam - PB's home. Time : ~ 7.30pm, Saturday. Now read it again. Hope you all got the other meaning !!!
Tuesday, January 24, 2006
Just saw now that Dinesh has tagged me to say on 'save the earth for our children. Here is what I feel:
1. Depleting resources : We need to forsee and think of all depleting resouces like power, water and fuel. We can say to us : 1. Never I will leave things on when I am not there. 2. Do not think that 'its no use if we alone save. nobody does right"
2. Resources being wasted - potential risk of being exhausted/ causing pollution.
Stationary Paper : We always tend to throw all one side written paper. We can get a clip pad and keep inserting one side written papers with the unwritten side on top.. We can use them to make grocery list. write phones # etc. (My parents do it). Never tear/use paper more than required.
Bottles : Why throw all juice bottles and buy new plastic boxes to keep groceries? Take off their paper label slowly by wiping with water and now it looks like a new platic bottle.
Tissue paper (in.U.S): We can buy tissues which has perforations to tear at smaller area than regular ones. Remember? Our parents have used milk cover(rinse with hot water) for packing idlies and making vadas and used thuni pai for shopping..We cant be so but still we can do something!!!
4. The most important thing is FOOD. Many of us dont see what is in the fridge/ shelf . we let them sit and they get rotten and we buy the same thing. We can avoid it by looking at our fridge/shelf everyday before we cook. Forsee which one will get rotten faster and use that first on that day menu. I think agriculture is something which has to respected !!! We HAVE TO think about the farmers who are underpaid and who still does that. We can refrigerate the food immediately after use and avoid wasting.
3. Quality deteriorating resources:
1. Teaching: In any country, teaching is a less preferred profession. Mainly because it is paid less and a trend that you resort to teach only we dont get anything. We have to definetely agree that certain things come from our teachers. I think our parents had better teachers than us. and my (our) cousins have poor teachers than mine. We should somehow try to bring people for teaching for our children!!
2. Mind power : Our parents had to learn things the tough way as they could not afford. But we are given all that instead. That does not mean that our children's quality of mind power has to go down.. say for example, our parents can do basic maths w/o paper and pen. I need a paper and pen. My children would need calculators.. Are we not denying them the usage of mind power by overproviding comforts?
3. Learning : Learning from family was a part of any individual's living in olden days. But in these days, its not possible. Say, our ancestors learned not to waste things, swimming, cooking etc at home. Do you think children would listen to parents totally now or do parents do impart such learning? In this case, I would think that it has to be imparted in school. We can have a subject with practical class (say like chemistry ) being taught for over a period of time for that particular age. Say, it is necesaary for everybody to know basic cooking as they shouldn't starve to death when there is nobody. So, there can be cooking as a subject with theory and practical (having 30 small gas stove for a school is not a big deal ) for 2-3 years (in their 6th , 7th and 8th std). In the 9th std they can have 'first aid and helping techniques' as a subject. In the 5th class, they can have ' saving resources' as a subject where things are taught at school with practical exams..Thus, we can atleast impart some learning right !!!
Thats all I think now!! I tag TJ , Ranjith and Senthil !
Friday, January 20, 2006
Dream of the day : Doctors find that the enzyme endopeptidase is very less in my body (adhellam onnum illa). So, they mix artificial endopeptidase on beetroot and ask me to eat every morning. I , being not so fond of eating beetroot everyday, hate endopeptidase. My friends are plotting against my hatredness...All my dream was how I escape from my friends from eating beetroot everyday..I couldn't recollect so well..
Next Aathichoodi verses now- just 8 more verses left !! Just found that shree's post was interesting. Heard many thenali raman stories but not this one.. may be its just me!!
Well, when I say 'kanavugal periya kanavugal', I am not talking about the dreams like what Dr Abdul Kalaam has talked.. This post is just to bring a smile in your face where I am just gonna narrate my dreams... mannnn... dont ask me. what sort of dreams I get?? Just getting reminded of 'MICHAEL MADA KAMA RAJAN ' paati who can steal anything like a ' pal set'... Since childhood, I had been getting all sorts of dreams-long; short; happy; sad; nightmares; sweet dreams which are weird, innovative and so diffferent that everybody laughs. anyways.. just thought i will share some of them that I remember!!
During high school days:
* Pathu thalai paambu used to follow me like anything and sting me
* Once I had a dream that I open a soda kadai and a cycle kadai with my class mates - 2 guys - prabhu and badhri. We are turning out as rowdies with cycle chain, bottle etc..our names are these: bakeer bakkili (badhri), gubeer alwa(mine) and karaar krishnan (prabhu).. I forgot the incidents!!
* Once, I got so much cold that my nose is totally blocked . I go to a nose repairing shop. I remove my nose and give them in the morning.They give me a spare nose to breathe and I say that I will pick my original nose in the evening. Meanwhile, they said they will 'overoil' it and clear all blocks ! !!
* My cousin (in my dream) is falling in love with a girl and my cousin living in chennai comes all the way to my hostel in rajasthan and decides to commit suicide by tying the rope on the water drain of the motta maadi (roof) in the opposite building. I save him and find that his lover is at my college and I reunite them. This is the dream and later I came to know that in reality both of them knew each other through tuition class.
Now, at lexington,
*Actor Sivakumar is the 'umpire' for a basket ball match (dont ask what???.. i too dont understand) in Rupp arena . My friend and I casually go there and he is giving us the invitation for his son surya's wedding which is to be held the next day. When I opened it I found the name of a girl hailing from madurai and she is the daughter of a textile mill owner and the bride is not not jyothika. I get passionate intentions to help lovers and so, I am furious abt. this arrangement. Cleverly, I am planning to stop sivakumar's drive to madurai from lexington by punching a hole in his call tyres.. and I am flying fast and stop that marriage and reunites surya and jyothika.. idhu epdi.. sooper la!!
* Few months before, My friend madurai # 1 does yagaa at my home and with his powers, he gives life to all my soft toys. the teddy bears move around me softly and I am furious abt. it!!
* Few weeks before, Madurai # 2 comes to my home and steals my glass tumblers.. when my friend is not near her plate, he steals the food!!
* Yesterday, Madurai # 3 sends a picture message through cell phone. When I open it, I see Hanuman. Instead of carrying sanjivi mountain in his hands , he is carrying Nataraja and Meenakshi amman in hand and are flying in air.. All I see as video through cell phone..I was terribly confused with purana story when I got up this morning. Bhakthi muthi pochu!! mandai kaanju pochu!!
* I have never done my 11th class and at U.S they are sending me back to do 11th class to chennai ..DAV school does not let me initially. Later, I join and the teachers irritate me. On the final day, I loose my ticket. One lex friend is taking his TVS 50(dont even know if has one) and takes me from thiruvamiyur to mandaveli..Then, another friend takes me in TVS suzuki and I dont reach b4 flight time.
* I have seen a Murugar temple and a periya murugar on the kunrathur road towards maangadu in my dream on an elevated hillock on left side.. But I am pretty sure that there is no such temple in reality!!
This one in the last week !!
* Here, one of our friends' (S anna) wife is giving birth to a kid. They call me on the same day to come and have a look at the kid. They say 'if you dont come it will grow up and you can't see when it is small'. I actually go after 1 week. When I go, I see that the kid has grown like around 10 year old.. I am dumbstruck.. They say "In U.S, the kids food is so nutritious and this is a new formula food by which you can avoid having trouble mainitaining a small kid.. I am believing it (in the dream) and say that 'I regret that I didn't come earlier'.. idhu epdi...
And the list goes on!!!! I have seen a proper movie once which is totally invented by me and if played, it will come for 2.5 hrs. I truly say that I dont think like this during day... but I see as dream!! Crankyness is always there in us right!!
Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Wishing you all a very happy pongal !
Have you heard of this phrase ' aaya kalaikal 64' ( ..ஆய கலைகள் 64) ..
I accidentally came across what they are in a book at home and I thought I will take a while to type.. Vayasya had given me a nice link in the comments section.Meanwhile, I was also looking online and found the same thing in another site which I liked better The same listing is here. Scroll down to see english listing..
Did you have a look.. Wow, its astounding right!!! So many art forms.. Classifying them is such a nice thing...
There are two sets of listing of 64 kalaigal. First listing is derived from aryaas. The second one, Dr.Mukerjee's listing is based on Vatsyayana's Kama sutra. So it deals more with attraction factors. I found the first set of listing in my Saraswathi strotram book at home. Well, who is the master of all this?
Lord Hayagriva is recognized as the master of all 64 kalaigal ("chathu: shashti KalAdhipan"). He is considered as the source of all Jnyaanam and the expositor of the comprehensive meanings of all tattvams. It seems the master of learning 'Dakshinaamoorthy' , the Goddess of Learning 'Saraswathi' and even Sage Vyaasaa and others famous for their powers of divine Vaak --all of them derive their power of divine speech from a mere fragment of the power of the aadhi vidhyaa Moorthy, Lord Hayagrivan.
Lord desikan in 28th hayagriva strotram requests "Oh Lord Hayagriva ! You should occupy the tip of my tongue as your throne ! Please bless me to join the mighty battle fields of contests , where very learned vidvaans serve as mediators of debate between contestants who use their tricks to advance their points !"
What a nice thought right!! Never realized myself that the tip of the tongue makes the difference in our talk...
Monday, January 02, 2006
WISHING YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Hope this year brings lots of peace and happiness to all of us !
Few days back, I was just thinking about the differences between how people used to live and how people are living..Just few things that struck my head...
First is 'giving respect in words' When its between friends, we define that there should be no respect - else you can't get closer. When its between a couple, we say 'he is like my friend'' - ultimately the equation leads to 'no respect'.But if we think about our ancestors, it not the case. The tamils in the olden days give respect to anybody and everybody. King would address queen with respect. Even in the last few decades (our parents ), wives would address husbands with respect - no calling by or with name(s). But now, we all say 'மரியாதை மனசுல இருந்தா போதும்'-(Mariyaathai manasula irundha pothum). We are getting kindaa westernized here in thoughts as people here do not show respect (though lot of courtesy)..
Next is - showering love / affection say 'anbu'. Now, when we part/meet a friend, many would hug or shake hand. If its between a couple, its would be hugs and kisses in public. Infact many would verbalize in public.For every phone call, the guy/ girl would say a ' love you ' and 'love you too'. Infact, it would appear artifical to us sometimes. Here, again, our ancestors have never done so. Never in any epic/ history the affection is shown out in public.Again we are getting kindaa westernized on this..
Giving respect in public through words and having affection within self (not showing in public) were social norms in our culture. But why did they have it ? or why should we not get westernized in this ? Well, my perception of our ancestors act is this : 'Affection is something which you should have in heart. Verbalizing it does not add any goodness unless you keep it up through action. Instead, it does a major harm tothe society knowlingly / unknowingly as there would many widows, people who lack good affection either as friends or from spouse or there would be people who miss them. ..
Respect is a concept that has to be given in public. You show respect to your spouse. your children would, your family would and your society would.There would be many a times when all of us do mistakes. But, one's knowledge (attained through age/ seniority) and intellect is one's own and it has to be respected for what it is. Closeness and respect are misconceived to be in the opposite planes.
Do you get the effect of listening to vijay's lecture in movies? Let me stop...
I am not here to advice/ blame anybody or say what is right or wrong. But just sharing thoughts and trying to perceive our ancestors act. hmm...Well, I came up with a kutti pudhu kavithai within 2 minutes while thinking about it ; Here it is and hope you like it!!
"அகத்தே அன்பு வைத்து,
புறத்தே பண்பு செய்து,
உலகத்தே கொள்கையெனக் கொள்வார்-பிறர்
மனத்தே கலக்கம் தாரார்! -அவரோ
தரத்தே மரத்தமிழனாய்த் வாழ்வார்!!"