Today is Akshaya thritiyai. Due to mass media and marketing, now it’s a day to buy gold and articles. But there are other important facts about this day that we all should know:
- Third day of the bright half of the lunar month of Vaikasi
- Sun and moon are extremely bright today-esp in westcoast of india
- Lord Parasurama’s Birthday
- Day when Threta Yugam started
- Day when river ganges flew from heaven to earth
I read in a book that today is good to
1. Start a buisness
2. Apply for job
3. Look for a bride/groom
4. Buy articles
And above all,
5. It’s a good day to donate something and it fetches punyam in multifold.
Back in olden days (when no media propagation was there), this day was just glorified by mamis to shop. When mamis at our homes go to buy jewels, my thatha used to get a lot of coins and go to temple. And on this day, there used be many many beggers (atleast 20) sitting in a row near temple Gopuram. My thatha used to go to each person and put a coin. I can appreciate it now though not earlier. Also it’s really good to do annadhanam this day it seems.
Donate if you can !!!